About The School

Mission Statement
MISSION:
Clinton Middle School is SOARing toward career and college readiness.

VISION:

In order for students to SOAR, we must
-Collaborate to make the best decisions to educate all of our students.
-Maintain a safe creative learning environment.
-Support, facilitate, and expect excellence from all stakeholders.

  About The School  

Google Map



View Larger Map


Belief

Student learning is the chief priority for the school.  Therefore, the development and implementation of our instructional programs underscore our belief in the intrinsic worth and potential of every student.  Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs.  Those needs are med in a safe and caring learning environment in which all students are engaged daily in meaningful activities that foster learning.  Furthermore, we recognize that students possess different learning styles and learn at different rates.  To enable students to become confident, self-directed, lifelong learners who can perform at mastery level, the learning community must use collected data to encourage students through rigorous standards, project-based learning, ongoing assessments, immediate feed back, and relevant and beneficial instruction.  Student must also be provided with the appropriate opportunities for success.

The local school must work as a partner with students, their families, and the surrounding community in a shared decision making process for the advancement of the school's mission.  Learning is a shared responsibility.  Effective communication between stakeholders of policies, expectations, and goals is essential to the development and growth of our students.


History


      The petition to form Anderson and Gallatin (Roane) counties was filed in 1801.  Originally named Burrville, Clinton became the county seat.  It is possible that Clinton was renamed in honor of George Clinton--a revolutionary war patriot.  Another possibility is George's nephew DeWitt, who was Governor of New York and built the Erie Canal. 

       In 1929 the Anderson County News reported a school house was built on Walden's ridge in 1802, but that was when the area was Indian territory.  There was probably a school on Raccoon (Claxton) as early as 1801.  Although not available until 1820's, the Compact of 1806 passed by Congress provided for the Union Academy.   The Union Academy was destroyed around the time of the Civil War.  A brick Baptist Seminary was built near the Academy in 1845 but it was also destroyed during the Civil War.  A Methodist Episcopal Church South vied for students in the area at that same time. 

      Freedmen Bureau created school for former slaves.  One was built on Freedmen's Hill in Clinton.  This school was destroyed by fire in 1869.  Money was raised to replace the school. 

      The Union Academy was rebuilt on a new site--where Clinton Elementary School is now established.    By 1890 the school was called Clinton High School.

      Clinton City Schools System was established in 1895.  It opened in 1896 with an enrollment of 222 students.

      A new brick building was built in 1903 replacing the old wood framed Academy.  The Clinton Gazette ran an article on the new building.  The article, written by "Myra" said among other gems "I am elated over the new school building.  It shows that the people believe in education and advancement. . ."  Between 1904 and 1923 the name Academy and High School was used interchangeably. 

     The first Clinton High School football team was in 1923.  The "Tornadoes" played at the Fair Park which is the current fairgrounds. 

      Why am I telling you all this?  A new high school was built in 1927--right here on the Middle School site. 

      On August 20, 1956 the black students joined the white students at Clinton High School.  Their "separate but equal" school was in bad need of repair.  People watched as this change was accepted.   It took radical "outsiders" to bring about the National Guard patrolling the streets, curfews, and ultimately the bombing of the high school on a Sunday morning in 1958.  Notice it took two years before this radical event took place.  From Mrs. Anderson's (guidance counselor) Children of the South, the students were getting along rather well during those two years. 

       The old building had badly needed renovation.  Not only had renovation been completed but new science equipment had just been installed.  Then after over seventy-five sticks of dynamite, the only thing left standing was the gymnasium, auditorium and the band room. 

     Destroying the school created great financial problems.  Students attended Linden School for two years while Clinton High School was being rebuilt.

      In 1968, completion of the new "round" high school turned the building into a Junior High School.  In 1990 or 1991 we adopted the Middle School philosophy. 

Roberts, Snyder E.  History of Clinton Senior High School, 1806-1971, Distributive Education Department, 1971.

Anderson, Margaret, Children of the South, New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1958.

Hoskins, Katherine B., Anderson County, Memphis,Tennessee: Memphis State University Press, 1979.

Overholt, James, Anderson County, Tennessee: A Pictorial History, Norfolk/ Virginia Beach: Donning Company Publishers, 1989.

All of the above sources are available in the Clinton Middle School Library.